Your mattress is one of the most intimate home essentials you are going to buy. It would be staying in your house for a fairly long time and will be deciding whether you get to sleep peacefully during the night or not.
No matter how hard we try to keep our house clean, we often forget that we are simply not paying attention to the mattress.
As a result of this, the mattress is not only degrading in quality but also becoming a cause of troubles with your health. It would be better if you learn about the mattress care routine that you must follow and how you must do it.
Cleaning Your Mattress With Care
Let us have a look at the most basic mattress care routine that you should be following.
- Flip the cover of the mattress- the first important thing to notice here is that you must always flip the mattress covers every six months. The kind of mattress that you own will decide the time it is going to take to flip the covers. You must make sure that you flip the mattress cover so that the head of the cover now becomes the bottom. Flipping is quite beneficial if done regularly to avoid dust and other buildups in the mattress.
- Buy a mattress cover– it is always better to invest in a mattress cover so that it can be protected from buildups and residues. People who are allergic to dust or even the smell of the memory foam mattress will be finding these covers to be a perfect option for them. It is easier to replace covers than to replace an entire mattress. As a result of this, you get to extend the life of your mattress and also protect yourself from any kind of allergies. It can save you a lot of efforts in the future as these covers might reduce the need of vacuuming.
- Remove dust daily– you should be making sure that you are removing the dust from the surface of the mattress every single day. In case you are avoiding this, residual buildup or even dust buildup will become very commonplace and you will have to face problems as a result of this. Dusting with a cloth will be a good idea but you will find it better to vacuum the mattress so that more dust can be sucked out of the mattress and you get to sleep on a clean surface.
- Use upholstery shampoo for soiled mattresses- there can be cases when the mattress becomes soiled or dirty. In such a condition, you should always be using an upholstery shampoo in order to clean the surface of the mattress. In case it is not always, you should be using a very mild detergent diluted in water to clean the area. Always prefer to use a mild sponge to clean the surface.
These were some tips that will help you keep your mattress clean and will also make sure that your mattress gets a very long life.
How To Make Your Mattress Last Longer
A mattress can typically last for 7 years or more. However, considering the number of complains that people have about their mattress, 7 years appears to be a very long time.
There are many people who find their mattress sagging and drooping within months of usage. However, this doesn’t always have to be the case. You can easily be extending the life of the mattress without facing any issues whatsoever. If the quality of the mattress is bad, you can hardly do anything about it.
However, if your mattress is good enough and shows some promise, you must always make sure that you are investing enough time and energy on making it last as long as possible.
Here are some of the best ways in which your mattress will last really very long and that too with ease.
- Use mattress pads or mattress covers– the most important benefits of the mattress pads and mattress covers is that they are able to prevent stains and spills from the mattresses with ease. If you have children or pets in your house, you know that a mattress can never be safe. Therefore, using mattress covers will always be a good idea. If you are habitual or eating or drinking on bed, then these covers and pads will become the saviors of your mattress. They are easier to replace and provide a host of benefits as well.
- No wet towels- this is a very common problem with many of us. We always keep wet towels on the bed and then forget about them. Though we find it to be an extremely innocent act, it is actually ruining our mattresses. The fiber in your mattress or the foam will be absorbing this water and will start to sag in no time. The mattress will be stained and soiled and will become unfit for use very soon.
- No pets- we all love pets and often let them climb up to our beds. They may damage your mattresses significantly and you might even come back home to an accident. There may be stains, odors, pet hair and even scratches all over your mattress which can reduce the life of your mattress like nothing else can. So make sure that you keep pets away from your beds at all times.
- Remove stains as soon as you find them- you can spill things or your kids and pets can have an accident on the mattress at any time. In such a case, get your cleaning hat on and remove the stains as soon as possible. Use mild detergents and upholstery shampoos in order to get rid of these stains. If the stains grow older, it would become very difficult to remove them. After they have been cleaned, get your hair dryer and dry the area completely as soon as possible and don’t let the water seep in. If it is a sunny day, leave the mattress out for a couple of hours. It will be dried thoroughly.
The Do’s and Don’ts Of Mattress Care Routines
A mattress is definitely one of the heaviest investments that you will be making for your home. Therefore, it is always advisable that you take care of the mattress and don’t let it become a bad investment ever.
Often, it is not the quality of the mattress but a bad maintenance schedule that reduces the life of the mattress and makes it a very expensive deal for you. This is the reason why you should be aware of the most basic do’s and don’ts of mattress care routines so that you can understand what is right and what is not.
Let us take a look at what works and what doesn’t.
The Do’s of mattress caring
- Always make sure that you turn your mattress every 3 months in order to make sure that the mattress gets
- even wear. In case you leave the mattress where it is, it will wear unevenly and body molds will be created with ease. Hence, set up a routine and flip over the mattress every three months. Remember, you need to turn it top to bottom as well as bottom and surface up.
- If you have a mattress that comes with box springs, then you must always be vacuuming the mattress every three months. Get the upholstery attachment of the vacuum cleaner in order to complete this process. Just run it over for more time than usual and you will be able to keep it clean or dust or any other kind of residual buildup as well.
- If you are going out on a vacation, do not forget to strip your bed. It will help you a lot in making sure that it gets some breathing space.
- In case there are stains on your bed, make sure that you clean them with an upholstery shampoo. If not, get a very mild detergent for this purpose.
The Don’ts of mattress caring
- Do not try to use the edge of the mattress as a seat. If you want to sit, then sit further behind on the mattress but not on the edges. It will make the edges droop and sag which will definitely not be a very good idea for you.
- Don’t eat or drink on your mattress. They are designed for sleep, not for eating. The moment you move a little, you will become prone to dropping food crumbs and even spill your drinks. Both of these will sag your mattress and degenerate inside to cause a very bad smell as well. Therefore, it is essential that you learn to care about the mattress.
- When it comes to cleaning your mattress, never use any kind of dry-cleaning fluid.
- If you believe that placing a board between the box spring and the mattress will be providing additional support to your mattress, you are wrong. It will only be causing trouble for you in the long run as the natural support mechanism will be disrupted.
- Don’t ever opt for dusting with a cloth. It would only be resettling in the dust on the surface of the mattress and cause allergies for you.